Follow the numbered signs and read about the history of one of the fastest growing boom towns in the Hills. Children that finish the tour may visit Halley's Store and Big Thunder Gold mine for your FREE GIFT.|
THE MINES Jacob Reed, William Franklin, also known as Rocky Mountain Frank, and Tom Blair located the first lode producing claim in the area. The claim was names Keystone in honor of Reed's native state of Pennsylvania, the Keystone State. Reed was also a professional surveyor and he laid out the Original Townsite of Keystone in 1891, which was named for the mining claim and is still known as the Keystone Mining District.
Holy terror, Luckyboy & Columbia mines are privately owned property – no public access
1) BOARDING HOUSE Originally built in the 1890s fir Henry Loomis and family, one of the numerous blacksmiths in Keystone. It later served as the Goodyear Motel and a boarding house for Mount Rushmore workers.
2) ED HAYES HOME One of the original homes in Keystone built in the 1890s for Ed Coad and family.
3) BIG THUNDER GOLD MINE Registered as Reed's Placer Claim in 1893 by German immigrants August Engle and Fred Seirth (formerly the Krupp Tunnel)
4) UPHAM SALOON Built in the 1890's, the Upham Saloon was one of many saloons in Keystone's early history. It was destroyed in a mysterious fire.
5) HAYES & HAYES Two brothers, John & Patrick Hayes opened a double-wide mercantile store on this site in 1895.
6) FRANKLIN HOTEL Built in the early 1890s and owned and operated by William and Jennie Franklin. Bill Franklin was also known as "Rocky Mountain Frank."
7) MCDONALD MOTEL The hotel was considered a luxurious hotel in the mid 1890s. They advertised, "The rendezvous for the smartest people in the West." The south half housed the Harney Peak Bank, later known as the Keystone Bank, the one and only bank in Keystone.
8) T.G. HOY ∓ COa Tom Hoy survived three fires and outlasted several pharmacies. He operated under the license of his father-in-law, Andrew Marble. The latter died in 1924, the last registered pharmacist in Keystone.
9) ICE HOUSE From the first official Forest Service Ranger Station in the Black Hills located on Box Elder Creek three miles south of present day Nemo South Dakota by Steamboat Rock. Moved to this location in 2004. The two story "Sullivan Drug Store" building was a this location and the one-story "City Meat Market" was to the south of the drug store.
10) DOCTOR'S OFFICE This office was built as a satellite office for Dr. Eugene B. Hultz, a physician from Hill City.
11) BLACKSMITH SHOP A photograph of the first automobile introduced in Keystone in 1909 is displayed on the sight of the last blacksmith shop in Keystone owned by "Peg Leg" or "Peggy" Haase, a one legged horseshoer (farrier).
12) THE HOLY TERROR MINE Founded on June 28, 1894, perhaps the richest gold mine in the southern Black Hills.
13) HALLEY'S STORE It is the oldest continuous business in Keystone. Built in 1896 as the Keystone Trading Company as a general mercantile store.
14) HISTORIC KEYSTONE ICEHOUSE Built in 1935, the ice house stored ice taken from a local pond in the winter and sold in the summer months.
15) BIVOUAC AREA The 4th Cavalry from Fort Meade camped in this area in the 1930s.
16) HISTORIC HOMES Homes built in the 1890s as seen as they appeared in the 1930s.
17) LOG SCHOOL HOUSE This original log schoolhouse was built in the early 1890s. Miss Mary Wheelock taught 40 students here in 1894-95.
18) KEYSTONE SCHOOL Built with Victorian architecture in 1900, at a cost of $10000 for 300 students. It served as a schoolhouse until 1988. Now the Keystone Historical Museum featuring Carrie Ingalls' memorabilia and James Langer Gem and Mineral Collection.
19) CHURCH The Keystone Congregational Church was built in 1896 at a cost of $2000. It was used as a school before the Victorian schoolhouse was built.
Other locations of interest in the Keystone area
KEYSTONE CEMETERY The U.S. National Forest Service land was deeded to the Modern Woodmen of America by President Theodore Roosevelt in 1900.
NATIONAL PRESIDENTS WAX MUSEUM Site of 1930's Baseball Field for Mount Rushmore Memorial Drillers.
BLACK HILLS SOUVENIRS Former location of Carrie Ingalls Swanzey's House.
THE INDIANS History of Keystone's legendary Native Americans.
RUBY HOUSE History of the floods, fires & colorful characters of Keystone.